Fire companies responded with four engines and one ladder truck and were on the scene in four minutes. The house was a one story single family residence on Verona Avenue.
Sherwood Fire Department
The Sherwood Fire Department responded to a fire call on Jan. 16 at 427 a.m. at 308 Verona Ave.
According to Fire Chief David Teague, the homeowner woke to flames coming from the ceiling above his fireplace. At the same time, the house smoke detector began going off. The residents left the building and called the fire department.
Fire companies responded with four engines and one ladder truck and were on the scene in four minutes. The house was a one story single family residence.
On arrival, heavy fire was coming from the roof at the rear of the building and out of the turbine vents at the peak. The entire rear addition was destroyed. The remainder of the residence had smoke and water damage due to the fire being in the attic. It took about 30 minutes to bring the fire under control.
One firefighter was injured in a fall and was transported to Baptist Springhill and releases later Wednesday morning.
“The Sherwood Fire Department recommends every residence have a working smoke detector,” Teague said. “If you do not have one, you can call the Fire Department at 835-0342, and we will install one for free.”