The Arkansas Historic Preservation Program’s next “Sandwiching in History” tour will visit the old North Little Rock Post Office at 420 Main Street in North Little Rock at noon on Friday, August 1.
The North Little Rock Post Office was built in 1931-1932 and was the city’s first stand-alone post office building. From 1905 to 1931, a city park was located at the southeast corner of 5th and Main streets, on land donated by the Rock Island Railroad. The federal government purchased the land in 1931 for the construction of a post office, which opened in December 1932. The Colonial Revival-style post office was designed by the Little Rock architectural firm of Thompson, Sanders & Ginocchio. In June 2012 the United States Postal Service closed North Little Rock’s historic downtown post office, and a few months later, the building was purchased by the William F. Laman Public Library System to serve as a new location for the Argenta Branch Library. The newly renovated library opened in April 2014.
The “Sandwiching in History” tour series targets Pulaski County structures and sites. The noontime series includes a brief lecture and tour of the subject property. Participants are encouraged to bring their lunches with them.
Other 2014 “Sandwiching in History” tours will be held Sept. 5, Rozelle-Murphy House, 1301 Scott Street, Little Rock; Oct. 3, Augustus Lane House, 3617 Ridge Road, North Little Rock; Nov. 7, Roundtop Filling Station, Trammel and Roundtop Road, Sherwood; and Dec. 5, Joseph W. House House, 2126 South Arch Street, Little Rock.
All tours are free and open to the public. For information, call 324-9880.