It has been 50 years since the British Invasion, when the Beatles performed on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964. In honor of this anniversary, Retro Images Archive and Argenta Arts Foundation will present “The British Invasion Fifty Years Later,” an archival photography exhibition that honors these musical and cultural icons and one of the world’s most beloved bands.
Gov. Mike Beebe will serve as honorary chairman of the exhibition, set for April 11-19 in North Little Rock’s Argenta Arts District.
The exhibition, which includes some never-before-seen photos, offers a glimpse of the band members’ public and private lives. The exclusive photos will be on display in the Argenta Arts District galleries and exhibition spaces in downtown North Little Rock. Seven North Little Rock galleries and restaurants will serve as hosts of the approximately 200 images. Art Connection in Argenta will display “Beatlemania!,” original works of art created by area youth artists.
The photo exhibit will be free, while special ticketed events will raise money for the Argenta Arts Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit with a mission to provide arts and cultural experiences for the people of Arkansas.
This is the second archival collection displayed in the Argenta District. Last spring, the “JFK Fifty Years Later” exhibit focused on the life and times of the 35th U.S. President. The exhibit attracted many people from all over the state to North Little Rock.
“We are pleased to once again offer such an impressive, extensive photo exhibit in Argenta,” said Jerry Currence, chairman of the Board of Directors for the Argenta Arts Foundation. “Bringing visitors to our beautiful galleries, restaurants and event spaces up and down Main Street is also a great way to introduce others to this historic district.”
The exhibit Argenta Arts District locations are as follows:
• Greg Thompson Fine Art, 429 Main St.: John Lennon and Paul McCartney
• Arkansas Inland Maritime Museum: Yellow Submarine
• Pennington Studios, 417 Main St.: Ed Sullivan – The British Invasion
• The Joint, 301 Main St., #102: Magical Mystery Tour: The Beatles Films
• THEA Foundation, 401 Main St., #100: George Harrison and Ringo Starr
• Mugs Café: The Beatles Graphics
• William F. Laman Public Library, Argenta Branch, 420 Main St.: Meet the Beatles
Photos will be on display at each location from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 12 and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 14-19. Special events throughout the week include:
• Noon, April 12, U.S.S. Razorback Submarine turns to the Yellow Submarine, Inland Maritime Museum
• 2 p.m., April 12, Walking Tour, starting at the THEA Foundation, 401 Main St.
• 8 p.m., April 12, “Ripped and Wrinkled,” The Joint, tickets required
• 4 p.m., April 14, British Invasion Film Festival, The Joint
• 5:30 p.m., April 15, Tales from the South, live radio with storytelling of 60’s adventures, tickets required
• 8 p.m., April 15, British Invasion Film Festival, The Joint
• 6 p.m., April 16, British Invasion Film Festival, The Joint
• 8 p.m., April 16 British Invasion IMPROV, The Joint
• 6 p.m., April 17, British Invasion Film Festival, The Joint
• 8-11 p.m., April 18, The Libras perform an all-Beatles tribute featuring special guest lead singers from the Arkansas music scene, Argenta Community Theater, tickets required
• Noon to 3 p.m., April 19, British Motor Club of Arkansas, 406 Main St.
• 3-6 p.m., British Invasion BBQ and Karaoke, Inland Maritime Museum, tickets required
• 7-10 p.m., Finale: Argenta Arts Foundation Awards Event, Argenta Community Theater, tickets required.
A variety of sponsorships for “The British Invasion 50 Years Later” are still available. Sponsorship levels include: $25,000 Arkansas Presenting Partner, $15,000 Arkansas Platinum Sponsor, $10,000 Arkansas Gold Sponsor, $5,000 Arkansas Bronze Sponsor and $2,500 Arkansas Friends of the Arts Sponsor. Each sponsorship provides a variety of marketing and recognition donor benefits designed to complement the organization’s strategic objectives and philanthropic priorities. For more information on sponsorships, contact Donna Hardcastle at (501) 993-1234.