Current Weather

You are here

Cooking mishaps lead to simultaneous fire calls

Cooking mishaps were the cause of two simultaneous responses by Maumelle firefighters to 100 Audubon Drive last Friday.

The first call came at approximately 2:48 p.m. when Engine 2, volunteer firefighters and North Little Rock Engine 4 were dispatched for a kitchen fire in Cottage B-1 behind the Audubon Pointe high-rise. The first firefighters on scene reported light smoke coming from the doorway of the residence. After making entry, firefighters found and quickly extinguished a fire on the stovetop. Five volunteer firefighters responded to the scene and assisted with ventilating smoke from the structure.

At 2:58 p.m., a fire alarm sounded on the fifth floor of the main high-rise building. Two career firefighters staffing Engine 1 left the scene of an unrelated incident and responded to assist other firefighters at Audubon Pointe. The source of the alarm was smoke from a plastic lid used to smother a small stovetop fire.

Fire damage was contained to the stove in both incidents.

No injuries to firefighters or residents were reported.

The North Little Rock Times, Sherwood Voice, Maumelle Monitor, and Jacksonville Patriot websites are available only to print and digital subscribers. If you are already a subscriber, you can access these websites at no additional charge.